Important points from 'The Power of Now' by Eckhart Tolle:
1. The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated.
2. Start listening to the voice in your head as often as you can. Do not judge, just observe.
3. Everytime you walk up and down the stairs, pay close attention to every step, every moment, even your breathing. Be totally present.
4. When you wash your hands, pay attention to all sense perceptions associated with that activity.
5. Criteria to measure success in these activities - a degree of peace that you feel within.
6. Make it a habit to ask yourself - whats going on inside me at this moment? Don't analyse, just watch. Feel the energy of emotion.
7. Whatever the present moment contains, accept it and then act if necessary or possible.
8. Focus attention on the feeling inside you. Know that it is pain body. Accept that it is there. Dont think, judge or analyse. Just observe the feeling inside you.
9. Watch out for any kind of defensive ness within your self. What are you defending? An illusory identity. By witnessing it, you disidentify from it.
10. Make it your practice to withdraw attention from past and future whenever they are not needed.
11. The moment you realize you are not present, you are present.
12. Watch the thought, feel the emotion, observe the reaction.
13. Use your senses fully. Be where you are. Look around. Just look, dont interpret. See the light, shapes, colors, textures. Be aware of silent presence of each thing. Be aware of the space that allows everything to be. Listen to the sounds; dont judge them. Listen to the silence underneath the sounds. Touch something, and feel and acknowledge its being. Observe the rhythm of your breathing; feel the air flowing in and out. Feel the life energy inside your body. Allow everything to be, within and without. Allow the 'isness' of all things. Move deeply into the Now.
14. Ask yourself: is there joy, ease, and lightness in what I am doing? If not, give your fullest attention to whatever you are doing rather than the result you want to achieve.
15. Direct your attention inward. What kind of thoughts your mind is producing? What do you feel? Direct your attention to the body. Is there any tension?
16. See if you can catch yourself complaining, in either speech or thought. Leave the situation or accept it.
17. Wherever you are, be there totally. If you find your here and now is intolerable, you have 3 options: remove yourself from situation, change it or accept it. You must choose now.
18. Accept the situation means surrender. Only a surrendered person has spiritual power.
19. Die to the past every moment. Dont talk or think about it unless necessary.
20. Do you have many 'what if' thoughts? Become aware of your breathing. Feel the air flowing in and out of your body. Feel your inner energy field.
21. You can never cope up with future. Nor you have to. The strength, the right action or the resource will be there when you need it, nor before nor after.
22. Always have some of your attention to inner energy field of your body. To feel the body from within. Body awareness keeps you present.
23. To listen to the silence, wherever you are, is an easy and direct way of becoming present.
24. Have deep roots within - the key is to be in a state of permanent connectedness with your inner body - to feel it at all times. This will rapidly deepen and transform your life.
25. If you keep your attention in the body as much as possible, you will be anchored in the Now.
26. Feel your whole body from within, as a single field of energy.
27. By all means focus on what you are doing, but feel the inner body at the same time whenever possible.
28. When something goes wrong, your conditioned mind will take over. When such challenges come, make it a habit to go within at once and focus as much as you can on the inner energy field of your body. This need not take long, just a few seconds. Do it the moment the challenge presents itself.
29. Forgive before you enter the inner body - forgiveness is to offer no resistance to life - to allow life to live through you.
30. Last thing in night and first thing in morning - flood your body with conciousness. Close your eyes. Lie flat on your back. Choose different parts of your body to focus your attention on. Hands, feets, arms, legs, abdomen, chest, head and so on. Feel the life energy inside those parts as intensely as you can. Stay with each part for 15 secs. Then let your attention run through the body like a wave a few times, from feet to head and back again. This need only take a min or so. After that, feel the inner body in totality as a single field of energy. Hold that feeling for few minutes. Be intensely present during that time.
31. If at any time you are finding it hard to get in touch with inner body. It is easier to focus on your breathing first. Breath and feel your abdomen expanding and contracting. Then gradually focus more on the feeling.
32. Whenever an answer, a solution or a creative idea is needed, stop thinking for a moment by focusing attention on your inner energy field. Become aware of the stillness. When you resume thinking, it will be fresh and creative.
33. Surrender - no mental emotional resistance to what is. Anything you accept fully will get you there, will take you into peace. This is the miracle of surrender.
34. Get in touch with the energy field of inner body, be intensely present, dis-identify with the mind, surrender to what is; these are all portal you can use. But you only need to use one.
35. Learn to offer No resistance to what is.
36. Whenever you feel negativity arising within you. Attention. Here and Now. Attention. Here and Now. Wake up.
37. When you surrender to what is and so become fully present, the past ceases to have any power. You do not need it anymore. Presence is the key. The Now is the key.
38. Imagine a ray of sunlight that has forgotten, it is an inseparable part of the Sun and deludes itself into believing, it has to fight for survival and create and cling to an identity other than the Sun. Would the death of this delusion not be incredibly liberating?